Author Topic: Formula 1  (Read 154379 times)

Re: Formula 1 - World Champion Nico Rosberg announces retirement
« Reply #4625 on: Thursday 15 December 2016, 10:32:35 PM »
The Hamilton hate always confuses me, possibly the best sportsman to come out of this country in the last ten years yet he's often hounded for his achievements.
There is no doubting his driving ability, but he generally comes across a arrogant dick, especially when things go against him.

Yup, he clearly rubs people the wrong way with his attitude...whether justified or not, personally think he's a bit petulant. The skill is not in question, never has been.

As for the winning a race in every season...well, he's not been driving a Minardi has he? Always given cars capable of race wins and he's obviously good enough to deliver them.

Guess you missed the s*** box he drove in 2009 or even the 2008 car which didn't even win the WCC something that has only been achieved two times in twenty years.

Guess you missed Minardi being considerably worse than any McLaren car since post since like 1984 or something (outside of 2015)...maybe. As for 2008, McLaren came 2nd still...hardly Minardi...weird that.

Are you saying Hamilton isn't a great driver because he hasn't done it in a Minardi?
I remember how the meaning of words began to change. I remember how different became dangerous.

James

• Book Wanker Wannabe
« Reply #4626 on: Thursday 15 December 2016, 11:40:33 PM »

Lovely down to earth bloke. Bit boring with a scary Mum but he just tries to win.
I looked into the eye of the Island and what I saw was beautiful.

James

• Book Wanker Wannabe
« Reply #4627 on: Thursday 15 December 2016, 11:41:52 PM »
Rather helpfully, Hamilton has reminded his team, through the media, that he had the right to veto any driver choices.

Dick
I looked into the eye of the Island and what I saw was beautiful.

« Reply #4628 on: Thursday 15 December 2016, 11:45:41 PM »
James.  :lol: The f***.

« Reply #4629 on: Friday 16 December 2016, 12:38:47 AM »
Rather helpfully, Hamilton has reminded his team, through the media, that he had the right to veto any driver choices.

Dick
No he hasnt. He's said the complete opposite :lol: Merc are contractually obliged to tell him their shortlist and will ask for his opinion, but he has no say in who they choose. Nor does he care by the looks of it

Also, Claire Williams saying Bottas would be allowed to leave, and names Massa. Something in that, then
"I'm delighted to see that a team like Mercedes lists Valtteri as a potential replacement for Nico," Williams said.

"We have always known Valtteri is one of the sport's key talents and are proud that the championship leaders recognise this.

"However, Williams has its own ambitions and we must always ensure we give our team the best opportunity to move forward. Any changes would only be made if Williams remains in a strong position to compete and develop in 2017.

"If we did allow Valtteri to leave, we would only do this if an experienced, credible alternative was available, such as someone like Felipe Massa, for example."

« Reply #4630 on: Friday 16 December 2016, 02:33:15 PM »
The Hamilton hate always confuses me, possibly the best sportsman to come out of this country in the last ten years yet he's often hounded for his achievements.
There is no doubting his driving ability, but he generally comes across a arrogant dick, especially when things go against him.

Yup, he clearly rubs people the wrong way with his attitude...whether justified or not, personally think he's a bit petulant. The skill is not in question, never has been.

As for the winning a race in every season...well, he's not been driving a Minardi has he? Always given cars capable of race wins and he's obviously good enough to deliver them.

Guess you missed the s*** box he drove in 2009 or even the 2008 car which didn't even win the WCC something that has only been achieved two times in twenty years.

Guess you missed Minardi being considerably worse than any McLaren car since post since like 1984 or something (outside of 2015)...maybe. As for 2008, McLaren came 2nd still...hardly Minardi...weird that.

Are you saying Hamilton isn't a great driver because he hasn't done it in a Minardi?

On a wet Tuesday night in Jerez.

Nah, just saying he's in possibly the most advantaged position of any driver coming into the sport since Schumacher. Clearly, he got the McLaren seat on merit (he's top 10, if not top 5 all time at this point) but I would say the achievement of winning in 10 consecutive seasons isn't overly impressive given his machinery/opportunity, it's more in line with expectation.

In summary, phenomenal driver, still a bit of a t***.

« Reply #4631 on: Friday 16 December 2016, 09:18:10 PM »
http://www.nzherald.co.nz//sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11768644

"He is incredibly humble and incredibly respectful and I think the media give him such a hard time," Cullen says. "I think it's just one of those scenarios where, when you are at the top of the game, you are going to be the person that gets taken down.

[...]

"There is not a day or a race where I leave and I don't get a look in the eyes or a text thanking me for what I do. He is very thankful of those that work hard around him.

"I'm not someone who would just do the job because the job is kind of exciting - I need to be working for someone I really want to help and he really does instill that in me.

[...]

"He is not a party boy. If he has a three-week recovery between races he might have a drink to celebrate a race win, but if there is a race meeting the next week, he won't drink at all."

t***

• NUFC54
  • Winter is here.
« Reply #4632 on: Tuesday 20 December 2016, 07:17:02 PM »
Valtteri Bottas' move to Mercedes as Lewis Hamilton's team-mate and Felipe Massa's return to replace him at Williams are close to completion.

Massa, 35, has agreed with Williams to postpone his retirement for at least a year after Mercedes made a pitch for Bottas, 27, to replace Nico Rosberg.

Rosberg announced his retirement after winning the world title last month.

The deal for Bottas to leave Williams for Mercedes is also lined up and is set to be completed in the new year.
My name is 54, and this is my favourite forum on the internet.

« Reply #4633 on: Tuesday 20 December 2016, 09:57:22 PM »
Loking forward to seeing what Bottas can do in a good car.  It's obviously more than likely that he'll be no match for Hamilton, but neither was Rosberg really and he won the Championship.  Good to have two Finns in 2 of the top 3 teams too

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #4634 on: Monday 9 January 2017, 08:41:17 PM »
Quote from: 2017 changes
The total width of the cars - the 'track' - has been increased from 1,800mm to 2,000mm, returning them to pre-1998 dimensions.

The bodywork has been widened from 1,400mm to 1,600mm - wider than ever before.

The area under the car with which teams can produce downforce has been significantly increased.

The front wing has been widened and will now be a delta-shape, while the rear wing has been made lower and wider.

Tyres are bigger - up from 245mm wide to 305mm at the front and from 325mm to 405mm at the rear.

Thoughts?

Re: Formula 1
« Reply #4635 on: Monday 9 January 2017, 08:44:21 PM »
Quote from: 2017 changes
The total width of the cars - the 'track' - has been increased from 1,800mm to 2,000mm, returning them to pre-1998 dimensions.

The bodywork has been widened from 1,400mm to 1,600mm - wider than ever before.

The area under the car with which teams can produce downforce has been significantly increased.

The front wing has been widened and will now be a delta-shape, while the rear wing has been made lower and wider.

Tyres are bigger - up from 245mm wide to 305mm at the front and from 325mm to 405mm at the rear.

Thoughts?

Tyres are a good step forward as current Pirellis have dog s**** so far, but I think more aero will cause further issues for overtaking.  Cars will look 100x better mind.

Should had focused more on mechanical grip changes.

« Reply #4636 on: Monday 9 January 2017, 09:25:26 PM »
Cars will ultimately look better and we're going to see some amazing qualifying times but I think most fear the "racing" will suffer.
LGM

« Reply #4637 on: Monday 16 January 2017, 01:58:44 PM »

« Reply #4638 on: Monday 16 January 2017, 02:05:48 PM »
Hamilton will clean him up imo.

• NUFC54
  • Winter is here.
« Reply #4639 on: Monday 16 January 2017, 02:09:59 PM »
I hope not, it's boring enough with only one team being able to compete, let alone only one person.

Any idea on who Williams will replace Bottas with?

« Reply #4640 on: Monday 16 January 2017, 02:13:06 PM »
I hope not, it's boring enough with only one team being able to compete, let alone only one person.

Any idea on who Williams will replace Bottas with?

Red bull will be challenging Mercedes next season imo.  Newey and what sounds to be much more powerful Renault Engine should push them close to Merc.

Massa is being brought back from retirement.

« Reply #4641 on: Monday 23 January 2017, 08:02:54 PM »
Ecclestone no longing running F1. :megusta:

« Reply #4642 on: Friday 17 February 2017, 11:25:34 AM »
2017 Williams

:sweetjesus:
« Last Edit: Friday 17 February 2017, 12:34:29 PM by sbnufc »

« Reply #4643 on: Friday 17 February 2017, 11:45:35 AM »
Just read up on the changes to the cars, big improvement imo.

Here's an illustration off of the Times website comparing last years to this years (top one is 2017)

« Reply #4644 on: Friday 17 February 2017, 12:39:33 PM »
also dat ass :sweetjesus:

« Reply #4645 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 10:57:55 AM »
Sauber C36

Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #4646 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 04:37:19 PM »
Looks exactly like that top illustration?

« Reply #4647 on: Monday 20 February 2017, 04:39:33 PM »
Looks exactly like that top illustration?

It does apart from the shark fin engine cover.

« Reply #4648 on: Tuesday 21 February 2017, 03:12:05 PM »
fugly RS17

• NUFC54
  • Winter is here.
« Reply #4649 on: Tuesday 21 February 2017, 03:17:38 PM »
I like it :undecided: