BTW for those saying forget history or tradition, maybe these pics may change your mind...Ground Development Work - 1899
Levelling the pitch to reduce the slope and constructing a small timber stand.1905 - 1930
Extensive redevelopment of St James' Park was completed in 1905, with larger terracing and a new main stand, which at the time was state of the art, containing club offices and boardroom, changing rooms, a players' billiards room and even a swimming pool. Capacity increased to over 60,000 although no limits were placed on the stadium and crowds were often above this.
This picture was taken in 1929, shortly before the Leazes End was given a roof.1930s
St James' Park during the 1930s, staging an Athletics meeting, which it did regularly just before, during and after World War 2. The Leazes End is now covered.Strawberry Place/Gallowgate Entrance - 1950s1958
St James' in 1958 shortly after the installation of floodlights.1960s
St James' pictured during the 1960s.1970s
St James' during the 1970s, with the East Stand, completed in 1973.Demolishing the Leazes End - 1978
In 1978, the large Leazes End was demolsihed and reduced. The hardcore supporters were transfered to the Gallowgate End, whilst the new smaller Leazes End predominantly housed the away support.Early 80s
St James' pictured during the early 1980s.Demolishing the West Stand - 1987
In 1987 the 82 year old West Stand was demolished to make way for a new main stand.Milburn Stand - 1988
The new West stand nears completion.
The completed new stand in 1988. It was named the Milburn Stand after Jackie Milburn who died as the stand was being finished.Barrack Road Gates
The Barrack Road gates in the early 90s. The building behind the gates is the old club shop. Behind that is the Milburn Stand.Early 90s
St James' pictured in the early 1990s.Building the Leazes
Construction on the new stand at the Leazes End begins towards the end of the 1992/93 season, which saw Newcastle promoted to the Premier League.Building the Gallowgate
With the Leazes completed, a replica stand was built at the Gallowgate End in 1994. Ground Expansion
During 1999/2000, St James' underwent a massive expansion on the Milburn and Leazes to take capacity from 36,000 to 52,000.